YSD Sponsorship FAQ
1. What are Yayasan Sime Darby's (YSD) focus areas?
i) YSD supports initiatives in the following five pillars:-
- Community & Health
- Youth & Sports
- Arts & Culture
ii) YSD provides two types of sponsorship:-
- One-off basis
To apply for this sponsorship, you may go
click on Sponsorships - One-off Project Application
- Long-Term Project
For projects that will last for a longer duration, you may go to www.yayasansimedarby.com and click on Sponsorships - Long-term Project Application.
2. Who can apply for sponsorship?
YSD welcomes applications from non-profit organisations and registered charity bodies independent of religious, political or personal agendas, who are dedicated to addressing the critical needs in any of the five pillars of YSD.
3. What type of projects does YSD support?
YSD supports sustainable and impactful projects which are beneficial to society. YSD does not donate to other charitable foundations, but collaborates in areas of mutual interest.
The Foundation does not support the following causes:
1. Profit generating projects
2. Projects that do not deliver a sustainable impact to society
4. How do I apply for sponsorship?
If your application falls under one of our pillars, you can submit your proposal to us via our website www.yayasansimedarby.com
and click on Sponsorships - One-off Project Application
or Sponsorships - Long-term Project Application
to fill in your particulars along with your relevant documents. For further clarification you also click on How to Submit A Project Proposal?
5. What are the proposal submission dates for this year?
The following are the scheduled submission dates for 2016:
- Completed applications with supporting documents should reach YSD by
29 April 2016 for consideration of approval by end of July 2016.
- Completed applications with supporting documents should reach YSD by
1 August 2016 for consideration of approval by end of October 2016.
Applications submitted after 1 August 2016
will be considered for in 2017.
6. I am in urgent need of funding as my event is happening next month. Can I get assistance from YSD?
All applications will go through a series of evaluation and whilst YSD strives to process the applications as quickly as possible, the due diligence process and approvals may take up to four calendar months.
Refer to scheduled submission dates set in Question 5 for application deadlines in 2016.
7. How will YSD disburse the funds to me if my proposal is approved?
Sponsorships are disbursed in stages with a pre-agreed schedule, upon YSD receiving complete supporting documents.
8. How will YSD monitor my project?
YSD monitors the progress of its projects according to agreed deliverable and timeline set in the agreement signed by both parties. Apart from that, project audits are conducted periodically to ensure proper governance processes are in place and targeted deliverable met.
9. I am a student looking for a financial assistance to further my studies. Can I apply for funding through the sponsorship application?
The sponsorship application does not entertain funding appeal for individual benefits. You may apply for a scholarship through www.yayasansimedarby.com
and click Scholarships
. Next, choose your country of origin. There, you will find the opening and closing dates, as well as the application form of the scholarships that we offer.
10. I run a welfare home. Can I get financial assistance from YSD?
Only for welfare homes that are registered
under the Jabatan Kebajikan Masyarakat (JKM). Through our Community & Health pillar, YSD aims to help the community by leveraging their capabilities to generate a sustainable income and assist them in organising any activities that produce substantial, tangible results. You may send in your application together with the relevant documents for our consideration.
If your home is not registered
under JKM, we suggest that you do so as soon as possible. You may click on Register with JKM
to understand the requirements needed for the registration process.
11. What other documents should be included in my proposal?
- Registration Certificate from Registrar of Companies (ROC) or Registrar of Societies (ROS). As mentioned, welfare homes must also include their registration certificate by JKM.
- Financial Statements that had been audited by professional auditors.
- Brief Background Introduction of your organisation.
- Project/Sponsorship Description
- Itemised Budget Framework for the sponsorship application, alongside relevant documents to support the figures in the budget.
- Other Relevant Documents that you think may assist the evaluation process.
The above list is not exhaustive, and YSD’s Project Team may contact you further should further information is needed.
12. I am publishing a book and I am selling some advertisement pages in the book, and would like to seek funds for the cost of the book production. Can I apply from YSD for funding?
YSD may fund activities that are non-profit making. Any activities that are profit making would not be eligible for YSD’s support.
13. I represent a Sdn Bhd (Private Limited) company that has been appointed by an NGO to run a charity event for them. Can I apply funding from YSD to contribute to the event?
YSD may fund activities that are non-profit making. Any activities that are profit making would not be eligible for YSD’s support. Unless the event or programme organised is 100% directly benefiting the NGO for their activities, then there is a likelihood that YSD would consider supporting the event.
14. How will I know about the status of my application?
If your application is successful, we will contact you via telephone and email to proceed with next step. Applications that are not successful will be informed via the email address provided in the application form.
15. Can I call you to follow up on my application request?
Yes, upon not hearing from us after four weeks of your application submission date, you may call the the extension number in Contact Us
for following up purposes.
16. If my first application was unsuccessful, can I resubmit my application?
Unfortunately, YSD does not consider applications resubmitted in a period of six (6) months. However, we do welcome proposals with new and improved ideas.
17. How do I apply for scholarships from YSD?
Applications for the scholarships and bursaries offered by YSD must be done through the online application links provided in our website.
However, for the Employees and Employees’ Children Education Programmes, Sime Darby employees and their children may download the application form from our website and manually submit it to Yayasan Sime Darby as per the stipulated timeline.
For further information and to apply for the YSD scholarships and bursaries, please click here
18. What are the different scholarship programmes offered under the three scholarship types/categories?
Under the YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme, YSD offers the following scholarships:
- Pre-University Scholarship Programme – Leading to Undergraduate Studies in China focuses on high school leavers who obtained at least 7As (combination of A+ and A) in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) 2016 examination. Scholarship recipients will pursue a 2-year foundation study in China. Upon successful completion of the foundation studies, they will be awarded a 4-year undergraduate scholarship at top universities in China.
- Pre-University Scholarship Programme – Leading to Undergraduate Studies in UK focuses on high school leavers who obtained at least 7As (combination of A+ and A) in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) 2016 examination. Scholarship recipients will pursue a 2-year Cambridge A-Level programme at Kolej Yayasan UEM located in Lembah Beringin, Selangor. Upon successful completion of the foundation studies and a minimum of 3As in the A-Level programme, they will be awarded an undergraduate scholarship at ten (10) selected top universities in the UK.
- Undergraduate Scholarship Programme (Indonesia) focuses on Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia (STPM) or diploma holders from recognised academic institutions with a minimum CGPA of 3.30 and good achievement in science subjects during SPM examination, who are interested to pursue undergraduate studies at top universities in Indonesia.
- Undergraduate Scholarship Programme (Local) focuses on Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia (STPM) and diploma holders from recognised academic institutions as well as those who are in the final semester of their foundation studies at any recognised matriculation centres nationwide or nine (9) selected Malaysian universities, with a minimum CGPA of 3.30.
- Employees Education Programme offers scholarships to eligible Sime Darby employees to pursue part-time diploma, undergraduate and postgraduate studies at any recognised local academic institutions.
Under the YSD Bursary Programme, YSD offers the following education assistance:
- YSD Special Support Bursary Programme awards bursaries to STPM and diploma holders, first year undergraduate and diploma students as well as those who are in the final semester of their foundation studies, with a CGPA of at least 3.00 to pursue undergraduate studies. Bursaries will also be awarded to SPM leavers who obtained an ‘A’ in Mathematics and at least 5 credits in other subjects in the SPM 2016 examination. The bursaries will be offered by YSD either directly OR through our education partner Yayasan Peneraju Pendidikan Bumiputera under the Peneraju Tunas Potensi – YSD Bursary Programme.
- b) Peneraju Tunas Potensi – YSD Bursary Programme awards bursaries to STPM and diploma holders, first year undergraduate and diploma students, as well as those who are in the final semester of their foundation studies, with a CGPA of at least 3.00 to pursue undergraduate studies. Bursaries will also be awarded to SPM leavers who obtained an ‘A’ in Mathematics and at least 5 credits in other subjects in the SPM 2016 examination.
- YSD Special Needs Bursary Programme awards bursaries to students who are physically challenged and academically inclined with a CGPA of at least 2.50 to pursue diploma or undergraduate studies locally.
- Employees’ Children Education Programme offers scholarships to eligible Sime Darby employees’ children with a minimum CGPA of 2.50 or at least 5 credits in the SPM 2016 examination to pursue diploma and undergraduate at any recognised academic institutions locally.
- Certificate in Heavy Equipment Programme awards bursaries to vocationally inclined students with at least 3 credits in the SPM examination to undergo a 2-year Certificate in Heavy Equipment recognised by Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran Malaysia (JPK) at Sime Darby Industrial Academy in Puchong, Selangor and Miri, Sarawak.
- Basic Healthcare Course awards bursaries to vocationally inclined students with at least 3 credits in the SPM examination to undergo a 6-month Certificate in Basic Healthcare at Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare College in Shah Alam, Selangor.
Under the YSD Skill Enrichment Programme, YSD offers the following vocational scholarships:
- Certificate in Automotive Programme awards vocational scholarships to students with at least 5 credits in the SPM examination to undergo a 2-year certification programme. At the end of this programme, successful students will obtain a certificate recognised by Jabatan Pembangunan Kemahiran Malaysia (JPK) in partnership with Hyundai – Sime Darby Motors at Sime Darby Industrial Academy in Puchong, Selangor.
- b) YSD Healthcare Scholarship Programme awards vocational scholarships to diploma students with a minimum CGPA of 3.00 or SPM leavers who achieved a minimum of 5 Bs in the SPM examination to complete their diploma in nursing, physiotherapy, medical laboratory technology and medical assistance at Ramsay Sime Darby Healthcare College in Shah Alam, Selangor.
19. Who is eligible to apply for a YSD scholarship?
The scholarships and bursaries are open to outstanding and promising students who fulfill the following eligibility requirements:
- Aged 18 years and below (for pre-university scholarships); 25 years or below (for diploma and undergraduate studies).
- Household income of RM10,000 and below for scholarship applicants under the YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme and the YSD Skill Enrichment Programme; OR RM3,000 and below for bursary applicants under the YSD Bursary Programme.
- Achieved minimum academic requirements as mentioned in our website.
For further details on the minimum requirements for each of the available programmes, please click here
20. What fields of study does YSD sponsor?
Under the YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme, YSD sponsors fields of study that are relevant to Sime Darby's core businesses as follows:
- Business related courses including Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration & Commerce, International Business, Human Resource and Digital Marketing.
- Engineering and Sciences related courses including Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Information Technology/Information System, Actuarial Science, Mathematics/Statistical Science, Agricultural Science, Environmental Science, Plantation Technology, Psychology, Data and Computer Science.
Under the YSD Bursary Programme, YSD supports any field of study in any recognised academic institution in Malaysia, except for medicine in public and private academic institutions.
Under the YSD Skill Enrichment Programme, YSD focuses on supporting heavy equipment and healthcare related courses.
21. Will YSD sponsor students to pursue tertiary education at any academic institution?
Under the YSD Bursary Programme, YSD allows bursary recipients to pursue diploma and undergraduate studies at any recognised public or private university in Malaysia.
Under the YSD Skill Enrichment Programme, scholarship recipients are only sponsored to pursue certificate or diploma programmes at Sime Darby's academies supported by YSD.
As for the YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme, scholarship recipients are only allowed to pursue tertiary education at any of the following selected universities:
- Universiti Malaya (UM)
- Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
- Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
- Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM)
- Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP)
- Monash University (Malaysia Campus)
- The University of Nottingham (Malaysia Campus)
- University of Southampton (Malaysia Campus)
Country: United Kingdom
- Imperial College London
- University of Cambridge
- University of Oxford
- University College London
- University of Edinburgh
- King's College London
- London School of Economics & Political Sciences
- University of Bristol
- University of Warwick
- Tsinghua University
- Peking University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Universitas Indonesia
- Institut Teknologi Bandung
- Universiti Gadjah Mada
22. Will I be notified with regards to my scholarship application after I have submitted my application?
Please note that application status will be notified via our automated email reply system. If you do not receive any notification, please contact the YSD Scholarship Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
23. How is the selection process for the scholarship programme?
YSD conducts a rigorous and robust selection process to select scholarship recipients under the YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme to ensure that successful candidates possess academic excellence, strong leadership qualities and fit into identified employing companies for future job placements. Applicants will be ranked based on an overall score after taking into consideration academic achievement, household income and extra-curricular activities. Shortlisted candidates will then be required to attend several assessments for evaluation and verification of their leadership qualities, personality and fit to YSD requirements.
For YSD Bursary and YSD Skill Enrichment Programmes, applicants will go through two levels of interviews to assess and verify their family background, family financial standing, personal competencies and aspirations.
24. What is the coverage of YSD scholarships?
- YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme: This full scholarship covers tuition fees, monthly living allowances, book allowance and one-time computer allowance. As for overseas scholarships, the full scholarship will also include flight tickets at the beginning and end of the period of study, student visa, passport, insurance coverage, one-time settling-in allowance, one-time clothing allowance and one-time shipping allowance.
- YSD Bursary Programme: This bursary covers tuition fees, monthly living allowances and book allowance up to RM25,000 per year for any diploma or undergraduate programme at public and private universities locally.
- YSD Skill Enrichment Programme: This award covers academic fees and monthly living allowances for any diploma or certificate programmes at selected Sime Darby academies.
25. Will the scholarship recipients be bonded?
Upon successful completion of studies, scholarship recipients under the YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme will be required to serve their service bond at any companies assigned by YSD from time to time for a period of 2 to 6 years, depending on the duration and value of the scholarship award.
Bursary recipients under the YSD Bursary Programme will not be bonded to YSD upon successful completion of studies.
Vocational scholarship recipients under the YSD Skill Enrichment Scholarship Programme will be required to serve their service bond at any company within Sime Darby Group, assigned by YSD, from time to time for a period of 2 to 3 years.
26. Can applicants apply if they are currently receiving loans/grants/bursaries from other organisations?
Applicants who are currently bonded with other scholarship providers are not eligible to apply.
However, applicants who are currently receiving education loans, study grants, zakat assistance or any form of financial aid from other organisations without an obligation to serve a scholarship bond, are eligible to apply for YSD scholarships. Nevertheless, applicants must terminate their current financial aid upon accepting a scholarship or bursary from YSD.
27. Is there a minimum grade that students need to maintain as a YSD scholar?
Yes. For recipients under the YSD Excellence Scholarship Programme, they must ensure that they maintain their academic performance at a minimum CGPA of 3.30 or above for local students AND at least a Second Class Upper for overseas students.
For bursary recipients under the YSD Bursary Programme, students are required to maintain a CGPA of 3.0 or above, while Special Needs students and Sime Darby Employees’ Children are required to achieve a minimum CGPA of 2.50.
For vocational scholarship recipients under the YSD Skill Enrichment Programme, students must obtain “PASS” in all examinations provided by the Sime Darby academies.
28. When is the opening date for scholarship applications?
YSD scholarships are open once a year for an application period of 1 month, which usually opens in the month of March.
This year, scholarship and bursary applications are open from 1 March until 14 April 2017.
For the Employees and Employees’ Education Programmes, Sime Darby employees and their children may submit manual applications to YSD’s office from 1 April until 30 April 2017.
29. Who can I contact regarding my scholarship application/any other queries?
Applicants may email the YSD Scholarship team at email@example.com or call us at 03-26911852/03-27110283 for enquiries on scholarship applications.
Back to top